Saturday, 20 July 2013

July Update

Hey everyone!

Progress has been admittedly slow on Idol-eyes this month, but I'm determined to complete it! Work has become busy with quite a lot of overtime, but we've still had backgrounds in development so we'll have some new art to share very soon.

I'm always motivated to finish projects, but it can become hard when working full time. Projects often have slumps in development, but I guess it's those moments that can mean the difference between success and failure. 

Idol-eyes is really a starting point for me. It's a realisation of a simple dream, simple game mechanics. I can say that it doesn't break any grounds in terms of gameplay innovation, and I'm looking at it now in a different light. But I think the story and characters will really say a lot, and I'm hoping the whole package will be memorable for people with all it's twists and turns. 

My original scope was huge, and I'm cutting it down into realistic chunks. If people enjoy Idol-eyes I'm sure I'll be inspired to make more games, but I really want to work on something completely different that sparks innovation and is a product of my own personality. Idol-eyes does have those elements, but I really want to create is some top quality, indie innovation. I'm not sure I can do it on my own. 

Actually, I've been playing Kairo. I'm feeling a little inspired by the project, because I know the time and effort that went into creating it. I've started to realise that quality takes time and it can't just be thrown together. I need to gather some more experience, and working on a Visual Project like Idol-eyes has given me some good skills for project co-ordination and how to stay motivated just to finish something. 

I wrote Earth Girl because I wanted something finished quickly, I wanted to have a product out there and I wanted to know what people thought of anything I created. Some people make games on a personal level, as an expression or even extension of themselves, and that's what Earth Girl felt like even though it was made in one afternoon. It received some good, and some bad reviews, which frankly was good in preparing me for any criticisms. I'm not precious about my work. I'm open to review, open to critique of my concepts and ideas, because at the end of it all, I just want to make good games.

Hopefully, a Idol-eyes will be the beginning. Just so I can create something that's polished and realise a dream to create something, with a bunch of talented people. The writers and artists I'm working with are so skilled, it feels awesome to know that everyone is on board and working towards this same goal. 

I love indie because it breaks the mould, it's not the same old stuff churned out again and again, I can really see people put a lot of heart into their games because it's not about financial risk. I'm not saying that big companies don't that because I see elements of it in AAA too. Every game dev I've met just wants to make the best of what they have, nobody ever intends to make a bad game.

I'm just happy to be part of it right now!

Happy developing,

Sally

No comments:

Post a Comment