Wednesday, 30 January 2013

New Game Projects: SunSeeker

Hello everyone!

Let me take this opportunity to say that I will try and update much more regularly from now: particularly because I'm pleased to say I have two new projects on the go at this time.

The first is a co-operative platform game that I am developing alongside people from work; this will be a longer term project. My goals for this project are simple; it's just to design and make a finished game. I posted a little about it in a previous post, but I'm hoping to work on it more soon. I've had a good mess about with Unity and so I'm just trying to get used to that technology, I've found Sketch-Up is really amazing for blocking out basic ideas of levels and seeing what would work in a 3D environment. I'm in the process of developing a 3D world for the game to take place, in Sketch-Up.


This is the second part of an initial level, created in Sketch-Up. It blocks out various corridors you could run through, and places where you could collect puzzle pieces. Here is a little segment from the design doc so that you can get an idea of our concept with this game:

'SunSeeker is a co-operative platform game with a competitive element. SunSeeker aims to achieve a balance between competitive and co-operative gameplay, working together as a team against your enemy. SunSeeker hopes to combine traditional platforming elements with newer styles of gameplay. SunSeeker will include everything you expect from a platform game, with pits, spikes and traps, but with a twist.

The main aim in SunSeeker is to be the first to assemble your puzzle. In SunSeeker, you play as Soul Golems, trapped in an abandoned temple. The Soul Golems are using the last remaining ounce of their life spirit to piece together an ancient relic to please the God of the Sun, in an attempt to be taken up to the heavens. If they fail, their spirit and remaining life will be stuck forever deep inside the temple with no hope of ever escaping.

The puzzle pieces, in the form of a relic, are scattered around the temple grounds. With varying puzzle weights, you will have to decide whether to pair up to transport the heaviest pieces first, or to go it alone with the lighter and smaller pieces. It’s all about speed and strategy, heavier pieces can be dropped on switches to open new pathways, but smaller pieces allow you to be more agile and more easily avoid traps. You can hinder your enemy team by releasing traps, locking doors behind you, and reaching the top of the pyramid before your opponent. The first team to assemble their ancient relic at the very top of the pyramid will please the Sun God and you will be transported to victory!'

At this stage, SunSeeker is just a working title; and it's a collaborative project. These game ideas have come through discussion with other members of the team until the idea became more solid.

Here is the imported level in Unity, with Denes' character and code.


I've also been doing some really basic modelling to get me back into the swing of things, so I did an urn with a jewel type design on the front.


Nothing amazing, but I do enjoy 3D modelling now and then when I have the time. These were done in Maya as a quick excersise.

So, I'm pretty excited about this project. It's slowed down over the past couple of weeks because we've all been busy, but hopefully it'll pick up pace once some more ideas have been put together.

Thanks,

Sally



No comments:

Post a Comment